The most exciting and innovative personal care ingredients will be announced during the eagerly anticipated in-cosmetics Global Innovation Zone Best Ingredient Awards on 2 April in Paris, alongside the inaugural Rising Star Award.
Each year international beauty manufacturers gather at the industry’s Oscars to celebrate the most cutting-edge ingredient launches. Gold, Silver or Bronze prizes will be handed out to suppliers that have helped cosmetic manufacturers push the boundaries of innovation over the last six months.
The winners of this year’s awards will be announced at the in-cosmetics Global After Party at the Paris expo Porte de Versailles on the evening of Tuesday, 2 April 2018.
The judges – Belinda Carli, director of the Institute of Personal Care Science; Colin Godefroy, International Raw Material manager at L’ORÉAL Research & Innovation; Dr. Andrea Mitarotonda, consultant; Muriel Pujos, Technical and Scientific director – Skin Care at Coty; Wren Holmes, New Brands & Business Models manager Europe at Unilever; Marie Helene Lair, Scientific Communication director of Clarins Group; and Marie Dehlinger, Scientific and Regulatory Affairs manager at Carrefour – will reward ingredients that have best combined innovative science and product features in a way that demonstrates substantial benefits to manufacturers.
In total, five award categories will be presented at the event – Green Ingredient Award, Innovation Zone Best Active Ingredient, Innovation Zone Best Functional Ingredient and Make-Up Bar and Sensory Bar awards (judged at the event). Shortlisted finalists for the Innovation Zone Best Ingredient Awards this year include:
Finalists: Best Active Ingredient
- Vytrus Biotech’s OLEA VITAE PLF – a powerful revitaliser of mature skin, that uses specific signalling lipids from plant cell membranes to activate the skin’s energy rejuvenation cycles – distributed by Savannah Fine Chemicals
- Hallstar’s LOOK Oléoactif – the first active ingredient based on OSMOS which decreases eye bags and dark circles – distributed by Millchem
- Givaudan Active Beauty’s Darkenyl – a revolutionary and advanced hair repigmenting active ingredient designed to counteract the greying biological process – distributed by The Care Co.
- BASF Personal Care & Nutrition GmbH’s Bix’Activ – an extract from the seeds of the Red Lip Tree (Bixa Orellana) that visibly reduces sebum production, mattifies the skin, refines pores and keeps the virulence of Propionibacterium acnes at bay
- Vitalab’s Vita Rosalience – based on a patented plant embryogenic culture of Rosa rugosa, it rejuvenates biological mechanisms and mitochondrial biogenesis
- IFF-Lucas Meyer Cosmetics’ SKINectura – an innovative, natural and organic active ingredient with unique properties extracted from the exquisite Australian kangaroo paw flower – distributed by Unicare Ingredients
- LABORATOIRES EXPANSCIENCE’s ALGAENIA – the ideal active ingredient to protect sensitive skin and allergic tendency
- Lipoid Kosmetik AG’s Carotolino – an active ingredient that incorporates the best of carrots including perfectly stabilised carotenoid to reduce blue light stress – distributed by ChemSystems
- LipoTrue S.L., Mibelle Biochemistry (Carst & Walker), LipoTrue, Symrise, Chemyunion (Chemgrit Cosmetics) and Givaudan Active Beauty have other products that are finalists, but will be revealed for the first time at in cosmetics Global.
Finalists: Best Functional Ingredient
- Gattefossé’s Emulium Illustro – a natural origin, PEG-free, water-in-oil emulsifier highly compatible with pigments and UV filters, but also with a wide range of cosmetic ingredients – distributed by Carst & Walker
- NCD IngredientsGmbH’s HALORUBIN – produced by Haloarchaea to reinforce their cell membrane and protect the cells against ROS, primarily caused by extreme UV irradiation
- Elementis BENTONE’s LUXE WN – an amazing multi-functional ingredient that provides emulsification and rheology modification in one easy-to-use package – distributed by Carst & Walker
- NAGASE Personal Care’s Micromica MK-200PG – an innovative, ecological base powder developed for J-Beauty to enhance the properties and quality of conventional sericite
- Maian – Innovative by nature’s SILIKE 91 PL – a natural alternative for silicone Cyclopentasiloxane or Cyclomethycone that maintains performance, physicochemical and sensorial characteristics
- Vantage Specialty Ingredients, Inc., CLARIANT, PolymerExpert, Ashland, DSM Nutritional Products, Galaxy Surfactants Limited, FUJIFILM Wako Pure Chemical Corp., SEPPIC and STEARINERIE DUBOIS are also finalists with new products launching at in-cosmetics Global
Finalists: Green Ingredient
- Vytrus Biotech’s Sarcoslim Re-Shape PRCF – a natural dermocosmetic active that reduces the excessive lipid accumulations and improves the general biomechanical properties of the skin by activation of the metabolism
- LABORATOIRES EXPANSCIENCE’s SKINHAIRGIUM BIO – rich in peptides and sugars, SKINHAIRGIUM BIO has the ability to stimulate hair growth, slow hair loss and provide a strengthening, revitalising effect
- Lipotec Active Ingredients’s LUMICEASE blue ingredient – it induces opsin proteins on the skin, which are considered as epidermal photosensors that could facilitate the skin perception of light. In vivo, it showed to minimise the main signs of digital and photoageing – distributed by Savannah Fine Chemicals
- Vitalab’s NutriVita – the active demonstrates significant improvement of skin firmness and elasticity and represents the solution recommended for all skincare products dedicated to dull skin.
Finalists: Rising Star
New to this year, in-cosmetics will also reveal its Rising Star Award to the most innovative and flexible companies exhibiting at the show for the first time. Judged by five of the industry’s leading experts, 13 incredible businesses have been shortlisted as finalists, with the winner to be announced at the show. The nominations are:
- Pacifique Sud Ingrédients
- Naturamus GmbH
- FUJIFILM Wako Pure Chemical Corp.
- O&3 – The Oil Family
- TRI Princeton + Monasterium Lab.
- PineAqua, Ltd
- Entekno Materials
- MicroA ASCosmetics manufacturers can learn more about the inspirational new ingredients by visiting in-cosmetics’ Innovation Zone from 2-4 April and joining the free-to-attend awards evening by registering at:http://www.in-cosmetics.com/register